Training 2 Work
Helping women thrive after incarceration
New Beginnings is offered to women who are currently housed in the Kent County, Muskegon, and Ottawa County Jail. Staff career coaches and specially trained volunteer mentors assist participants in making a successful reentry into the community. Services begin pre-release and include:
- One-on-one and/or group mentoring
- Employability assessments
- Individualized employment plans
- Strength-based case management service
- Life skills development
- Connection to community partners offering critical services (health, substance abuse, housing, educational/training) post-release.
Volunteer mentors play a critical role in helping women successfully reenter the community and avoid re-incarceration. Research shows a dramatic drop in the recidivism rate for women who have mentor support post-release.
We offer extensive training for New Beginnings mentors, and we ask that mentors make a one year commitment.